The Nigerian Students Parliament (NSP) is a student legislative platform meant to provide student leaders with avenue to learn the art and pattern of law making and also support and present pro Students policies in the National Assembly.
It comprises of 109 students representatives. The national President of each state indigenous student Union is an automatic member and shall nominate the other two Parliamentarians from the other two senatorial districts in his/her state. The three Students shall obtain a letter of nomination from their national lawmakers recommending them to represent their senatorial districts respectively.
The Parliament held it’s Two-Day Maiden Convention on the 10th – 11th of February, 2020.
First, we thank God for bringing Nigerian Students from across the country safely to the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Abuja. We further wish to highly commend the Ministry of Education, the Ministry of Youths and Sports Development, the National Assembly (NASS), the Young Parliamentarians Forum (YPF), National Youth Council of Nigeria (NYCN), Nigerian Youth Parliament (NYP), 36 States National Students Presidents including FCT Abuja, Nigerian Police Force, Department of State Security (DSS), and the press for the peculiar roles they consciously played to ensure a successful NSP Convention.
It is in the light of the above that we wish to humbly make known the outcome of the convention as thus:
1. Parliamentarians across the 36 states of the federation including FCT Abuja were screened at the National Commission for Colleges of Education (NCCE) conference hall on the 10th and duly inaugurated at the National Assembly on the 11th of February, 2020 respectively.
2. Elections were conducted in a Closed-door first plenary session with majority of the members in attendance which led to the emergence of Rt. Hon. Jabir Abubakar Boginda of Sokoto South Senatorial Districts as Speaker and Hon. Oderinwale Elisha of Osun West Senatorial District as Deputy Speaker of Nigerian Students’ Parliament.
3. After the elections and inauguration, the house unanimously agreed to dissolve the Board of Trustees and all other standing committees.
4. The leadership of the house further assures all Parliamentarians who are yet to be inaugurated that they will be absorbed into the Parliament, and are encouraged to get their nomination letters from any of their national lawmakers.
5. After all the 109 nomination letters are gotten, the new members shall be duly inaugurated in an emergency plenary session where all the other principal officers shall emerge. Thence, the BoT and committees will be formed during same session.
Finally, we appreciate the Convention Planning Committee for their commitment towards the success of the convention and also wish to commend all Parliamentarians who made out time to be part of the convention and wish them journey mercies back to their various destinations.
Attached is a comprehensive attendance of all Parliamentarians who attended the convention.
Office of the Senate President, National Assembly Complex, Three Arms Zone, P.M.B 141, FCT, Abuja
Office of the Speaker, House of RepresentativesNational Assembly Complex, Three Arms Zone, P.M.B, 141, FCT, Abuja
The Honourable Minister, Federal Ministry of Education, Federal Secretariat Complex, Abuja
The Honourable Minister(State), Federal Ministry of Education, Federal Secretariat Complex, Abuja
The Honourable Minister, Federal Ministry of Police Affairs, Federal Secretariat Complex, Abuja
The Inspector General of Police(IGP),Louis Edet House, Force Headquarters, Abuja
The Chairman,Young Parliamentarians Forum (YPF)National Assembly Complex, Three Arms Zone, P.M.B 141, FCT, Abuja
Senior Special Assistant (SSA) to the President on Youths and Student MattersFederal Secretariat Complex, Abuja
The President,National Youth Council of Nigeria (NYCN)Room 106, Federal Ministry of Youths and Sports DevelopmentFederal Secretariat Complex, Abuja
The Speaker,Nigerian Youth Parliament (NYP)White House, Three Arms Zone, P.M.B 141, FCT, Abuja
The Director,Department of State Security, FCT Command Abuja